Sunday, January 22, 2006

A reading suggestion from Piya


Hi all-


If you have time, check out this book by the Turkish writer, Orhan Pamuk, called "Snow". I'm not sure he's that well known in India, but I think he is available in bookstores. It's one of the most interesting books I've read about terrorism so far--but it's a lot more than that; it's really profound and beautiful, --about a poet who sort of ends up betraying and being betrayed. Pamuk has been charged by the Turkish govt. for his critique of their policies towards the Armenians so he's been very much in the news here in the US. -Piya

6 comments:

Buchu said...

hi,
just thought i'd leave a quick message. i'm not from the batch of '83, but from the batch of '99...so much much younger. but your sight has induced quite a bit of nostalgia in me :) there is a class of '99 website, with details of what we're upto, and a yahoo group, which is a really easy way of keeping in touch with loads of ppl all at once.
but great job so far!!
antara

Ujwala said...

I've read Red by the same author a while back. I will definitely read this one too. Thrilled to see your post.

Ujwala said...

hi antara, tried following your blogger name link to check out your LMOG '99 blog but with no luck. thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ujwala,
I was looking up LMC on the web and found a link to your blog/83 blog. I did not stay till 83-left in 81. I live in California- but am in Chennai for a few days. It is great to see all the photos. wonderful to see that all of you kept in touch.
Rohini Ashok (nee Raghunathan).

Ujwala said...

Rohini, of course i remember you and so will the others. even vinita left after class X. we want to get hold of all the people we were in school with. hoping that we meet up in cal at the end of the year.

hope you are enjoying your stay in chennai. my in laws live in adayar and so we're there at least once a year. do get in touch with me at ujwalaprabhuATgmail.com

Rahat said...

Hi Piya - great to see you online. Hope to hear more from you and about you! It's been years since we all met - and it's great to be able to get in touch again ! All the best, Rahat