Monday, July 31, 2006

Hong Kong...

Hi Everybody
We landed in Hong Kong yesterday and I am amazed by this city. The energy in the air is tangible. People are running around constantly but don't seem rushed. Shopping is incredible. I went to a bazaar called Ladies Market in Mongkok. It has a large variety of everything imitation. I think I was a little overwhelmed and did not buy much. My kids on the other hand had no such inhibitions. There was one small hat stall where the lady grabbed me by the arm and pulled me inside hoping to make a sale, when Aditi (my older one), got totally freaked out and yelled 'Run Mom run, she is trying to get you!". It was hilarious! The food is very very good. Hong Kong apparently has more restaurants per person than any other place in the world. We ate at a chinese restaurant which is completely vegetarian and had dishes like shrimp, abalone etc made out of gluten and tofu- totally delish!
Wish you all were here... you know I am thinking about you all... blogging on vacation!

8 comments:

Ujwala Prabhu said...

looks like you guys are having fun :D did you do that train ride up the hill? saw the snakes hanging out of roadside shops? did any trekking? i think its either shim sha sui or sham sui po - where they sell software and dvd's - the kids might like that too. i think you can take the metro to get there. check with the concierge.

Ujwala Prabhu said...

and oh and oh... i forgot... pls take some pictures of doors, shops and people for me to draw / paint :D dont forget!

Anonymous said...

okey dokey- although doors of these high rises is a little tricky with revolving mechanisms.
I found that the prices for electronics was musch higher than in the US. I got really good deals there online vs shops here.
We are going to the peak tonight. Just got back from Stankey.
Ro

Ujwala Prabhu said...

i was talking about old doorways and hoping that you'd spot some in kowloon. hope you're having a blast.

Ujwala Prabhu said...

you'll get better deals on software.

Anonymous said...

Uj
where are you now?
Dipu- are you reading this? I will call you soon. trying to fish out your phone number.
Ro

Ujwala Prabhu said...

have extended my stay by two days as rj will not be in town. i now get back into dhaka one day before he does :D am mighty pleased about not being stuck in dhaka on my own :d :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Rahat,
how are U? where are U?
Ro